Thursday, August 25, 2016

The lost street



I have lost my old street
Where we’d play with our feet and our hands
Dust, mud all over looking and searching
For the hidden ball, big or small
That went off the boundary wall
Or the bar post, screeching and howling.

Leave our study books at eight in the evening
In black out bliss we’d come out, chat and sing
Back then, we had homes where
Someone would always be there
If not our parents, there’d be neighbors
We’d look upon as our uncles or aunts next door

The lane that was my own
In time, I see it there, yet gone.

Children still play in parks
Without unhealthy dust or mud
Balls, big or small are not indecent
To crash window glasses
There’s no power cut
From study, no escapade.

I came back after years to my street
Now rich, with visible wherewithal,
But the boy in me with the same eyes, lost it
To growth in time, different and oddball.

No comments:

Post a Comment