Friday, January 9, 2015

Above mediocrity

Above mediocrity

I will rise above mediocrity,
And with me will raise a race,
Where do I see you and not see me?
In clouds without mirth and grace!
You who do not respect elders, neighbours,
Have taught me self-respect;
You who worked up the workers,
Have taught me to be honest;
You who were afraid of death, bred terror
Have taught me fearlessness,
About love and peace;
You who nurtured hatred and anger,
Didn’t you teach me about bliss?

But this is not what I see Mount Olympus!
I know what you have hidden from above,
The child, who was ugly, I learn,
Embodied kindness and peace!
Rejected by parents,
Deceived by his wife –
A Goddess of love
With war in her brain,
His seat rived to the lowest abyss,
The smith weaved through the deserted life.

I forgive my teachers and guardians on this day,
For the same song they heard,
The same verse did they nurse!
I will rise above mediocrity come what may.
With me I will follow my herd;
How can in my universe,
Be anything other than me?
Finished now my ignoble blaming hearse,
Learning drizzles ceaseless for free!

Note: Hephaestus is the son of Zeus and Hera. He is the only god who is ugly. As a child, he was rejected by his parents. His wife, Aphrodite, goddess of love was in love with Ares, god of war. Hephaestus was kind and peace-loving.

09 January 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment