Sunday, September 3, 2017

Be a woman

Be a woman

When I said that
my friends laughed
some of them, women

be a man
my ears were trained thus
what does it mean
I asked myself

strength, power, confidence
with which
you protect or kill women
you marry or molest women
you work and relegate women
in broad daylight

in my friend’s family
a zamindar
it was being man
to throw a course which
his spouse cooked for him
in front of everyone
and accept the one his mother
brought
mother was endlessly happy
so was this machine, everyone

what you should do
how you should be
where you should go
when you should come

Wait… now I understand
what is to be a man
a matter of pride
nothing to hide
free from shame
untouched, free from blame
Be a man? Then?

When I said that
my friends laughed
some of them, women

my inner voice screeched
unheard, unjudged
​​​​​​​untouched, unsung
be a woman

No comments:

Post a Comment