Monday, September 11, 2017

How mature people talk

I am fifty-four now
I can write my lines
go for a long morning walk
but I still do not know how
mature people talk!

All the time, they are serious and grim 
their tension in the crown alone shines
whether on the staircase or in the lift
going to work, or workout at the gym
they do smile, but are always prepared for the rift.

At conferences, seminars or discussions
they need to win with what they opine
I feel like hugging them warm and tight
with the little of child-like gumption
so they enjoy the moments, without meaningless fights.

I see them hiding behind the words
somber, they know they are not fine
their feelings bleed a thousand tears
would never listen, concur in their juvenile world
die delinquent deaths in imaginative fears.

When I was a sophomore
I was much the same, outdated infantine*
was direct, blunt; could never know
how to work smart and talk more
to mind my Ps and Qs, and win the show.

I am sure when I will be ninety-four
I will ponder over a glass of wine
how grownups cleverly converse, conquer and rock
I am sure I’d be shocked thinking of the yore
I’d wonder still, how mature people talk!


Note: infantine* - archaic word meaning infantile 

No comments:

Post a Comment