Wednesday, April 2, 2014

O my name!

Ever since I shifted from my hometown Kolkata, in 2003, I realized how difficult it was to write or pronounce my name!

Back in Kolkata, it was easy because the word has a bengaliness to it. Besides, ‘su’ means good, and ‘pratik’ means symbol. So I thought I was a good symbol until I went to Kerala. From Sabarnika to Sampritik to Supratick to Sampriya it has travelled a lot with variations like Sputnik, Samptik in Chennai, Banglaore, to some shockers like Mrs. Supratika, Suptratik Ma’am in Hyderabad.  

It was just at a time when I was beginning to generalize this as a South-Indian challenge that the real shocker came to me from Delhi. I went there with my colleague to give a two-day training on marketing skills to a group of workforce of my client organization. My colleague handed me the hotel bill and said, with a grin, Supratik, I think it’s for you! I saw my name spelt as Suprabrick, and this was their second attempt you know…the first one, the one I saw with a scratch had a ‘d’ in place of ‘br’!

For my friends, this is Supratik with which you may or may not add a Mr.!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment