Thursday, October 31, 2013

From the mundane to the ordinary

From the mundane to the ordinary

Eiffel Tower is so common what’s the big deal, 
From my dining room I see it in every meal. 
  
I cannot see my mother, 
Can’t eat what she makes or smell her around. 
To my brother who’s with her, 
It’s as silly as it sounds. 


Objects, living or otherwise, lose their importance with availability. The poem takes two well-known archetypes so to speak and shows how even such coveted objects lose their importance and become ordinary. The poet understands this merely as a mental model (trained to neglect that which is in front of us) and wonders as to how to change this paradigm.

This poem does not talk about nostalgia alone. I have conditioned just one interpretation for which I apologise. However, there are other interpretations as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment