Monday, June 9, 2014

Rape

Rape

Rape appears again.
With its creative pare, faking pain
Fruits of pleasure hanging, lying, floating
On parts of nature,
O beauty!

India ‘is the cruelest’ place.
Where grimace is the name for the powerful grace;
Green shames unleash red tapes and lace
Horror blue showers on fertile lands,
Grasses hang and leaves drop from the naked tree
From where these rights become so wrong
How I’d pen a different song!

Though nothing stops.
‘Move on’ the weakest call that survives,
Buildings don’t collapse on insolent mud,
Businesses don’t crash on sticky thud,
Works don’t smash on the crackup grounds,
Ladies, women, girls don’t cease to solemnize birth
Gentlemen, guys, boys don’t tire to comply.

But I am guilty; burn the poem for in here I solicit a revolution,
You will not allow me to enter this pious premise I know
For I write here to stop everything on this treasured soil,
What is the need for growth, for wealth of any kind!
When being a rapist is our potent pride.
I am guilty of taking law, the blind into my own hands.

I am guilty; I should be punished in no time,
Curb me down I know I will get my judgement so quick
This bard is guilty with poisonous stings
No girls, and they’re not my ‘ma’ and ‘behen’, they’re girls with wings
See! On grounds of disrespect you could put me behind the bars,
No girls I say are safe in India,
Violated in this failing country of ‘dead habits’!

Let the world know how virile we are.
India tops in honor killing and rape,
We are here to nail down love, and drain our lust without escape
My country is the cruelest country,
You have another ground to bring this brute to book.
With a foolproof pen inking so openly white
Go hunt and hurt with all your might.

Laws will wall you save your claws
And tell us stories of women’s flaws.
O beauty!
On parts of nature,
Fruits of pleasure hanging, lying, floating
With its creative pare, faking pain
Rape appears again.

Note: Ma means mother, behen means sister. One of the common ways to refer to Indian women to show respect; however, men are seldom referred to as Baba (father) and bhaiya (brother). In India, we think that women are more respected if they are referred to as mother and sister, and not just as women. The poem has 47 lines, crafted and hammered as a reminder to lot many things for no use at all.

I was not sure of whether I should share this poem until I thought of keeping my being sure aside. Yes, 'rape' has become a statement of power in India. Women of all ages are first raped then brutally murdered with the relatives of the victims running from pillar to post for justice.
09 June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment