Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Song of the words


Song of the words

Words died a steady death.
Defeated, destroyed
like crying waves on the sea-shore
wings of the eaglets that failed to fly
skin of the snakes useless, dry
mask of the mime covering the core.

I took care to shed them.
Attractive, deadly
alive as ulcer, tumors
I was holding them
using, chanting
but they were blooming
only on the page
through my pen
sounding in the air
throwing up,
from my teeth and my tongue
accolades and praises,
their shine and glare
cemented the walls of my prison
with no feelings
hidden in the words
with concern and care,
I was blinded, without vision
the real song, still unsung.

Then I sensed the pull.
From my head
in several strokes
with a never-heard melody
I was sailing off
deep sea, to its bed
from myself
ounce by ounce
waters broke
with nothing to cling on
nothing to renounce.

I came back.
The words ran into me
like long lost friends
I could recognize them
their songs, their tunes
meaningful
with what I feel
for what I fell
that wasn’t love
for sure
just pronouncing hell
hell, hell and more of hell.

Now I have nothing.
But I have them all
the jewels out of the shells.

Chanson des mots

Les mots sont morts, une mort assurée
Défaits, détruits
Comme des vagues pleurant sur  le rivage
Les ailes des aiglons qui n'ont pas réussi à voler
Peau des serpents inutile, sèche
Masque du mime couvrant le cœur.

J' en ai pris soin afin de les perdre.
Attrayants, funestes
vivants comme ulcère, tumeurs
je les tenais
pour les utiliser, chanter
mais ils fleurissaient
seulement sur la page
à  travers mon stylo
sonnant dans l'air
en vomissant,
de mes dents et de ma langue
accolades et louanges
leur éclat et leur miroitement
cimentaient les murs de ma prison
sans sentiments
cachés dans les mots
avec inquiétude et soin,
j'étais aveuglé, sans vision
la vraie chanson, encore méconnue.

Ensuite, j'ai senti  la force.
Venant de  ma tête
en plusieurs traits
avec une mélodie jamais entendue
je naviguais
mer profonde, à son  lit
de moi-même
once par once
les eaux se brisèrent
avec rien pour s'accrocher
rien  à  quoi renoncer.

Je suis revenu.
Les mots tombèrent sur moi
comme des amis perdus depuis longtemps
je pouvais les reconnaître
leurs chansons, leurs airs
révélateurs
avec ce que je ressens
pour lesquels je suis tombé
ce n'était pas l'amour
c’est sûr
c’est  seulement prononcer l'enfer
l'enfer, l'enfer et plus d'enfer.

Désormais, je n'ai rien.
mais je les ai tous
les bijoux  hors des coquilles

French translation by the author Supratik Sen; edited by Denis Emorine.
Abouthis blog, read here.


About Denis Emorine


No comments:

Post a Comment