Saturday, October 1, 2016

Another story


When you were there with me,
doing the chores, running the house
paying the bills
putting on the table those palatable meals
smelling of an unmistakable you,
I was writing a different story;
reading newspapers and novels at home,
going to work, drinking coffee
with another cup as my company;
how many vegetables grew in the kitchen garden
how many were bought, I had no clue
I knew the home as home.

Suddenly when you are not there,
when I enter the house with my keys,
the garbage smells of home-delivered food,
plastic bags,
when I notice that vacant chair in the coffee table
an emptiness fills my heart.

I see myself caressing my memory,
a translucent field, where
your being there overtakes everything.
Now
when the front corridor has still the impression
of a shoe wrack, 
I realize it had walked away
with all the fondness and warmth
that occupied the corner of a space
I no longer see as home,
I am trying to write another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment